Returning to the same four pieces I introduced in my last post, the photos here show what they looked like straight from the kiln. All the colors, from the vivid yellow and rose ones to the charred black, are simply what the kiln chose to give me.
Perhaps I should add that the “charred” black is just a “color” — the texture of the metal itself held up just fine.
Notice that, at this point, only the flat side of the square one (lower right in the second photo) really seems to show that I used two different colors of bronze.
The other thing I notice is that the “convex” sides are, in general, darker than the “other” sides. When placed in the firing box, I just happened to position them so all the convex sides faced up (i.e., like the first photo in each pair that I’m using with the posts in this series). At this point, I suspect that positioning, not doming, is the cause of that darkening, but it’s something I’ll try to remember to keep checking in the future.
After taking those photos, it was time to go do some post-fire polishing. I’ll show the results from that shortly….
Thanks, Alice. The color is just what the kiln gives…
Copper (which I think you use more than I do) tends to come out fairly uniform, but I usually get some sort of color range with bronze. Sometimes the colors are yucky; other times, lovely. Often, the two sides come out one each way (which is why I’ve started trying to pay attention to firing position). But if there’s a side, or even just a section of a side, that I don’t like, then I just “let it tell me” to polish it up to a nice, clear shine.
Here are links to photos of a couple pieces I posted about previously; both were made from regular (yellow) bronze: