Here are a couple more of the pieces I tried, hugging silver metal clay around large copper sheet washers. I get the construction part of the process (where the silver is the potentially tricky part) but I’m clearly still trying to figure out the best finishing methods (with the copper).
The piece on the left was treated much like the one in my previous post. I did let it sit in the pickle a few hours longer as I worked on other pieces. There was still some firescale to grind off before I torched it to produce a range of heat-reaction colors. (It did take a bit less grinding than with the piece in my last post.)
The piece on the right is shown basically straight from the kiln. The red color, on the side that faced down on the kiln shelf, is closer to what I had been expecting for most of these pieces. I liked that red and didn’t want to do anything that might affect it.
This second photo shows the “backs” of both those pieces. The one that’s red on the front, with the semi-circle of silver, had been very black on the back (also, as expected). This shot shows what it’s like after I’ve ground almost all of that off. (I didn’t quite finish the job because I had to get them off to a friend who’s photographing them for another purpose … more on that in a later post.)
The piece to the left shows what can happen on the back of one with the torch-activated patina. It has a range of colors too, but they are darker, and with a rougher texture to them: a somewhat different look from what’s on the “front” but very interesting in its own way.